SMART Organizing is pleased to have partnered with the United Church Women (UCW) of Westminster Church, Orangeville Ontario, as a volunteer to support the “Purse Project” benefiting women in Dufferin County, Peel Region, Wellington County and surrounding communities.
Lynne Smith, UCW project coordinator has launched the Purse Project after being inspired by the Women Helping Women initiative in Ottawa last winter. Partnering with Orangeville Police Services, this past September, the UCW are organizing this project with hopes to engage our community to come together to help women in need by providing basic personal care items & toiletries in a new or gently used purse.
The community support has been terrific already with the first wave of filled purses to be assembled and delivered by the end of November. The UCW hope to deliver purses to as many women as they can in Dufferin County and surrounding areas through support from volunteers and community services outreach.
How you can help:
- Donate a new or gently used purse containing personal care items.
- Donate a new or gently used purse (empty).
- Donate personal care items to fill the purses.
- Volunteer to help the UCW fill purses.
- Volunteer to deliver filled purses to community organizations and women in need.
- Make a monetary donation to purchase personal care items (Westminster Church, Orangeville will provide a tax receipt for any monetary contributions).
- Volunteer for community outreach. Share this initiative within your network to facilitate community outreach to make this project a success!
Personal care items sought:
- Feminine hygiene products
- Soap bars, body wash & lotions
- Hand sanitizer or wipes
- Q-tips, cotton balls
- Toothpaste, tooth brushes, dental floss and mouthwash
- Lip balm and moisturizers
- Socks and slippers
- Gloves, mittens, ear muffs, hats and scarves
- Nail clippers & files
- Nail polish & nail polish remover
- Shampoo & conditioner
- Hair combs, small brushes, hair clips & elastics
- Gift cards to grocery stores, department & dollar stores
- Non-perishable snacks (granola, protein & cereal bars; raisins; trail mix)
- Orangeville Police Services located at 390 C Line, Orangeville Ontario.
- Westminster United Church located at 247 Broadway, Orangeville, Ontario on Tuesday’s to Thursday’s from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm. (All monetary donations are to be processed by the Westminister United Church).
The filled purses will be delivered to the Orangeville Caledon Dufferin Victim Services, Westminster United Church, other local churches, shelters and community service organizations providing outreach services. Family Transition Place will receive a supply of personal care items and the Orangeville Police Services will also keep purses on hand to benefit women in need they may encounter in the community at large.
This is an incredible initiative that allows each of us to enrich our community while providing support to women in need of personal care items. On behalf of the UCW, Orangeville Police Services and the volunteers of the UCW Purse Project, we thank you for your consideration of generous support!
The community organizations that have benefited from the purses in their outreach efforts have been:
- CHOICES Youth Shelter, Orangeville
- Orangeville Caledon Dufferin Victim Services
- Orangeville Police Services
- St. Marks Anglican Church, Orangeville
- St. Vincent De Paul, Orangeville
- Westminster United Church, Orangeville
If you know any organizations or individuals that may benefit from the purses, we encourage you to reach out.
Inquires for the project can be directed to Lynne Smith, UCW project coordinator at 519-941-4334 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
SMART Organizing offers services in Dufferin County and surrounding areas including: Amaranth, Brampton, Caledon, East Garafraxa, Erin, Grand Valley, Hillsburgh, Melancthon, Mono, Mulmur, Orangeville and Shelburne.