There is always a good time to organize, however autumn is the season that gets me most excited about organizing!
In Dufferin County, the air is cooler and crisp; the foliage on trees and plants transform into glorious rich colours before they drop. There is an abundance of farm fresh foods available at local farms and markets and many Fall sports, recreation and arts activities and events are kicked off. It truly is an inspiring time to live, work and play here!
Autumn is the perfect season to reflect on whether you are where you want to be in terms of your life, home and business priorities. If you are not…now is a great time for change!
The smallest change can make a big difference in how we perceive things. If you do not feel happy, inspired and motivated in your space – it may be because the space is no longer functional or may contain items that hold negative energy or block the flow of positive energy. Sometimes even the tidiest spaces are the least functional – they may look neat, but don’t really serve a purpose.
Does your space inspire you? Does it give you the feeling of harmony, order, peace and ease? Now is the season to take inventory of what you have to determine what you need and want, what no longer adds value and what you would like to honor.
At home, take inventory to evaluate all your living spaces and items within each to determine accessibility, usability, safety, desirability and function. Not sure where to start? Take a look at your:
- Entry spaces. Inviting. Space for jackets, bags, footwear.
- Wardrobes and closets. Seasonal clothing and footwear.
- Bedrooms and bedding. Inviting, cozy and comfortable. Transition to flannel or fleece sheets and heavier blankets. Prepare for guest rooms.
- Sports equipment. Accessibility & storage of equipment for indoor & outdoor activities.
- Décor, crafts in preparation for holiday observance and celebrations. Thanksgiving; Diwali; Halloween and dare I mention Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Ramadan, and other winter holidays that soon follow.
- Kitchens and pantries. Supplies, appliances, equipment and tools suitable for meal preparation, storage and dining.
- Refrigerators and freezers. Check for spoiled, expired or disliked food items.
- Laundry & mud rooms. Accessibility & storage of laundry appliances and supplies.
- Bathrooms. Towels, personal and cleaning supplies, appliances and toiletries.
- Garages and storage sheds. Adequate space for vehicles, equipment and tools and other stored items.
- Recreation and play rooms. Books, games, toys, electronics and media.
- Home office. Desk, bulletin boards, filing cabinets, records, supplies, mail, documents, files, electronics, and media.
In business, you can also take inventory to evaluate all your work spaces and items within each to determine accessibility, usability, safety, desirability and function. Not sure where to start? Consider the:
- Reception area & closets. Inviting. Space for jackets, footwear, and seating.
- Offices and workstations. Desks, shelves, bulletin boards, filing cabinets, cubbies, records, supplies, mail, documents, files, electronics, and media.
- Kitchens. Supplies, equipment and tools suitable for meal preparation, storage and dining.
- Meeting rooms. Seating, tables, equipment, electronics and media.
- Bathrooms. Towels, personal and cleaning supplies, toiletries.
- Storage rooms. Supplies, cabinets and product inventory.
So why do I get excited to organize? Because this is the season that offers us a significant opportunity for change. I’m inspired to work with my clients to invite the abundance of positive energy that awaits them in the spaces that will give them a sense of harmony, order, peace and ease through the organizing process.
Working directly with clients to identify their priorities and to establish SMART (specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and timely) goals. As their accountability partner, we get right to work to successfully achieve the goals defined in our plan! That is SMART.
SMART Organizing offers services in Dufferin County and surrounding areas including: Amaranth, Brampton, Caledon, East Garafraxa, Erin, Grand Valley, Hillsburgh, Melancthon, Mono, Mulmur, Orangeville and Shelburne.